OXB Special Install
Ice Station WØJH 2014
SARA Work Party 3
AGØH 2013
New Radio Gear For Some SARA Members!
SARA Work Party 1
WØJH 2004
Kilo Parks Award
Fitzgerald Crew 2011
2014 SARA Officers

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – October 19, 2022

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – October 19, 2022

Stillwater Amateur Radio Association

This was a Zoom online meeting.

Roll Call of Officers – Present:  Joe KCØOIO, Bob WØGAF, Zack AAØU, Shel NØDRX, Dave N9JNQ, Rich ADØSN.  Absent:  Brad VE3MXJ.

President: Joe KCØOIO

The meeting was called to order at 6:34 pm.

Secretary’s Report – Dave N9JNQ

The October 2022 Membership and September Board Meeting minutes can be found posted to the club website.

​Treasurer’s Report – Rich ADØSN

Treasurer’s report reported at the October 2022 Membership Meeting:

Beginning Total Balance:   09/01/2022     $17,894.36

  • SARA

Balance:                                                   $5,819.82

Income:                                                   $716.50

Expenses:                                                $0.00

Ending Balance:      9/30/2022         $6,536.32

  • RBF

Balance:                                                 $12,097.34

Income:                                                  $0.00

Expenses:                                               $0.00

Ending Balance:   9/30/2022          $12,097.34

Ending Total Balance: 9/30/2022       $18,633.66

Rich ADØSN reported that we have received a couple PayPal renewals since the report, which have been sent to Shel NØDRX.  Rich has not yet received an expense report from Brian NØBJE for the new antenna and mast approved by the Membership at the October 8, 2022 meeting for the Fred C. Andersen Scout Camp.

Trustee’s Report – Shel NØDRX

Nothing new to report at this time.

Reports of Committees/Work Groups:

Website:  Collin KEØIYN & Bob WØGAF

Collin KEØIYN reported that our provider did add some security updates and updated the C-Panel, including WordPress, which have provided some additional features and a “toolkit” for future repairs.  Collin noted that the toolkit has additional security feature in it, and he will try them a few at a time to see how they impact the club website.  Collin noted that the “Special Interests” drop down menu links are not working, he will need to take a look at that and attempt to fix the problem.  Bob WØGAF noted that he and Greg KØGW may want to use the CW Special Interests area in conjunction with the upcoming CW study group sessions.  Collin noted that the weather plugin does not currently function as it is too old; we will need to choose another plugin as its replacement.  Joe KCØOIO noted that he recently updated the special events page to include current 2022 information.

Activities & Events:  Dave WØOXB & Bob WØGAF

Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event – Dave WØOXB notes that Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event will take place November 4-6, 2022.  The restaurant has our reservations, and are having an all-you-can -eat shrimp fry.  The “place up the road” is available for Sunday’s meal.  The club call WØJH will be used at the site; the special event call sign WØF will be available for use by off-site stations running CW and digital modes.  The WØF call will be available for use on the actual date of the Fitzgerald sinking, November 10, as well.  Sign-up for use of the WØF call will be available on SignUpGenius, and Joe KCØOIO reports that the November 10 listing will have one-hour blocks as opposed to two-hour blocks. Brian NØBJE will be staying until Monday, and he and Dave will be doing some POTA activations on their way back to the Cities.

Ice Station WØJH 2023 – The consensus was that the club would undertake another Ice Station WØJH event on Lake Elmo, if Dave KØAIF will have us.  Dave WØOXB will check with AIF Dave to make sure the site is available on Presidents Day weekend, February 18-20, the typical weekend for the event.  Dave needs a couple of months lead time to get the event into the appropriate issue of QST, which he believes may be December 1.

M.A.P and NHRG:  Dave WØOXB & Brian NØBJE

M.A.P. – Dave WØOXB reports that some antennas have been raised in the last few months, and there have been some site inspections for a few other members who are having trees removed.

Dave noted that one former member Jerry  KBØJER is now in a local senior facility, but would like to get back on the air.  Jerry recently donated much of his equipment to SARA.  Dave talked with him and offered to help get his recently expired license renewed, as well as get him hooked up with an HT.  Dave proposed that the club also give Jerry a complimentary SARA membership to get him back in the fold in recognition for his equipment donation.

Bob WØGAF made a motion to give Jerry KBØJER a complimentary Associate Membership; Shel NØDRX seconded the motion; motion passed unanimously.

NHRG -Nothing to report.

Meetings & Programs – Joe KCØOIO

Thursday Eyeball QSO Party – Joe KCØOIO noted that we have no room for the November 3 eyeball, and that it had been agreed at an earlier meeting that the eyeball be canceled due to the fact that many participants will be absent as they will be preparing to leave the following day for the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event.

Return of the Thanksgiving Friday Virtual “Manhattan Project – Joe KCØOIO announced the return of the Thanksgiving Friday Virtual Manhattan Project for this year, to take place via Zoom.

Room Reservations – Dan KFØIYF

Dan KEØIYF has done a great job securing the Stillwater Library meeting room for future eyeballs and for the General License sessions, as well as securing alternative locations for the license sessions when needed.  We do not, however, have a room for the December 1 Eyeball at this point.

Education and Training – Bob WØGAF

General License Sessions – Bob WØGAF reports that the General License class is underway with six participants, with the fifth session taking place tomorrow.  Bob gives a hardy handshake and his best personal regards to Dan KFØIYF for the stellar job he has done securing rooms and to all the instructors for (what else) instructing.

CW Training Sessions – Bob WØGAF reports that there are five members on the “interested” list, and he anticipates a late November start for the sessions.  There appears to be a mix of folks without CW experience as well as folks who want to brush up their skills.  Greg KØGW and Bob will put together a draft “road map” for the sessions, which will not be a formal class but rather have a study group format.

VE Team – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX reports that a VE session will take place November 17, 2022 at Boutwells Landing.  He sent a note to club VEs and had a great response, so we will be well-staffed.

Newsletter – Pat WAØTDA, Dave WØOXB

Due to the Special Event taking place the first weekend of November, the deadline for the November newsletter will be the end of October.

Repeater – Henry KØHAS, Shel NØDRX, Doug N9TOW

It was noted that Oak Park Heights is starting early planning to explore options for redevelopment of the King Power Plant site.

Remote Bases Technical Committee – Pat WAØTDA

Joe KCØOIO reported that the WØZSW remote site, located at WAØTDA Pat’s home QTH is off the air due to a major antenna failure.  There is the possibility that it could be relocated; Brian KB9TBB has offered his cabin location up near Hayward, WI, and Collin KEØIYN has offered his QTH.  Pat will work with both to determine which, if either, place will be the new home for WØZSW.  It was noted that the club does have an additional call sign available, KBØSCE, so there is the possibility of an additional remote site.

Unfinished Business

SARA Club Equipment Inventory – The trailer inventory still needs to be completed.  It will be in use for the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event.

Meeting programs for the rest of 2022 – Joe KCØOIO noted that he was still looking for an additional volunteer to join the new Meeting Program Committee now set up to plan and secure the monthly membership meeting programs.  Dave N9JNQ and Zack AAØU have already volunteered.  Joe would like to find a third member, and has someone in mind.

It was noted that we do have the White Elephant Exchange as one of the programs, and Bob WØGAF stated that we can use one of the program slots for the final POTA Challenge presentation of awards.  February would probably be the appropriate month for that program.  Ideas were discussed for other programs, including approaching Ward NØAX regarding a program on grounding and bonding.  Dave N9JNQ agreed to contact him regarding his availability and interest.  Another possible topics include QRP equipment and operation, and emergency preparedness.

Budget for POTA Challenge prize swag bag – Joe KCØOIO reported that he, Bob WØGAF, and Brian KB9TBB had preliminary discussions regarding the prize swag, and there is some concern that we may need more than the previously-approved expenditure of $250.00, mostly due to the fact that there appears as though there will be more “Legends” than originally anticipated.  We may need to go to the membership with the vote as it may surpass the $350.00 threshold for Board-approved expenditures.

It currently is anticipated that the Legends will each receive a certificate and a prize, the first place being the “Denali” certificate, the second the “Rainier” certificate, and down the line using the list of highest North American mountains as the identified feature.  Dave KØAIF, who is reported to be artistically inclined, will help with the certificates. The best of the rest (the “Leaders”) will receive prizes in the various categories.  The prizes will be POTA-centric, such as POTA stickers and banners, etc.

New Business

Motorola Quantro repeaters available – Joe KCØOIO stated that Nate Timm from Washington County informed him that Hennepin County is making available old Motorola Quantro repeaters to anyone who may want them.  Henry KØHAS noted that they are out of production by about ten years, are paging transmitters, so do not have receive, and are temperamental.  Joe expressed his opinion that he did not see a club need for one of the repeaters; the consensus agreed.

2023 Officer Nominations – Joe KCØOIO noted that club officer nominations will take place at the December Membership Meeting.

Flickr – Keith AGØH asked whether the Board was considering getting rid of its Flickr account of was going to keep it.  Joe KCØOIO affirmed that the club currently plans to keep it.  Keith said that anyone who has photos should send them his way for posting.

Ray KØZZT (SK) Memorial Service -Dave informed the Board that KØZZT (SK) Ray’s burial will take place at Ft. Snelling Cemetery on November 1, 2022, with a gathering at the American Legion Hall just down the street from Ray’s QTH in St. Paul Park.  Joe KCØOIO reported that he received a call from Jeff KB9MMT who had received a call from Ray’s wife about selling Ray’s equipment.  Jeff may be at Split Rock, where further discussion may be had.

Shel NØDRX made a motion to adjourn the meeting; the motion was seconded by Bob WØGAF; the motion passed unanimously.  The meeting was adjourned at 7:48 PM.