SARA Field Day 2011
2017 SARA Officers
SARA Work Party 1
May 14th Fox Hunt! What Fun!
2020 S.A.R.A. EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
SARA Work Party 2
SARA Work Party 3
The Joe Simonet WØTBC Memorial Award
WØJH 2004
Split Rock 2013

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – November 18, 2020

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – November 18, 2020

Stillwater Amateur Radio Association

Cisco Webex online meeting due to COVID-19 social distancing

Roll Call of Officers – Present:  Joe KC0OIO, Bob W0GAF, Dave N9JNQ, Rich AD0SN, Dan KE0IYF, Doug N9TOW, Shel N0DRX

President: Joe KCØOIO

The meeting was called to order at 6:40 pm.

Secretary’s Report – Dave N9JNQ

October 22, 2020, Board Meeting minutes have been posted to the club website by Dave N9JNQ.

​Treasurer’s Report – Rich ADØSN

Beginning Total Balance:   11/01/2020     $16,967.25

  • SARA

Balance:                                                   $4006.96

Income:                                                   $625.00

Expenses:                                                $0.00

Ending Balance:      11/18/2020              $4,631.96

  • RBF

Balance:                                                 $13,117.08

Income:                                                  $0.00

Expenses:                                               $0.00

Ending Balance:    11/18/2020          $13,117.08

  • Income

Dues:                                                      $400.00

Donations:                                             $25.00

Sale of Yaesu FT-990                          $200.00

Ending Total Balance: 11/18/2020       $17,749.04

Rich AD0SN reports that he has received many dues payments in the month of November, along with a donation of $25 from John KA0HYR (greatly appreciated, John).  The Yaesu FT-990 that was donated by the family of Bill KD0OTB, SK, was sold to one of our newly licensed hams for $200.

Rich has provided access to the transaction file on radioham.org drive to Joe KC0OIO, Bob W0GAF, and Shel N0DRX.  He will make the modification to make the file accessible to all executive officers.  Rich will get help from Bob, if necessary, to archive the records for 2018 and 2019.

Rich reports that nine members recently used the online PayPal option to pay their dues.  Shel reports it appears to be working just fine.

Trustee’s Report – Shel NØDRX

Shel N0DRX reports that the online membership application and payment option should make things easier for members, and no one has yet complained about the $1.00 service fee for using PayPal.

Shel reports that the club’s liability insurance will be due at the end of December, it has run around $100 per year in recent years.  It was agreed that liability insurance is a necessity and should be renewed.

Shel reports that paid membership for 2021 stands at 51; eleven have paid for 2022; two have paid for 2023; and one has paid for 2024.

Reports of Committees/Workgroups:

Website:  Collin KEØIYN & Doug N9TOW & Bob WØGAF

Bob W0GAF asked Shel N0DRX to let him know if he would like to see any adjustments to the online application as they are very easy to make.

Collin KE0IYN reported on his work on the SARA website functionality.  The SSL certificate is now functioning on the SARA website.  He used Let’s Encrypt to implement the certificate.  He has run into one issue due to the fact that the certificate applies to www.radioham.org, and a number of the site’s pages drop the www and use radioham.org alone.  The result is that, when going to a non-www page, a security warning page will come up asking the user to approve going to the site.  Collin reports that the plugin used to set up the certificate was to blame for this issue.  Joe KC0OIO noted that the industry has been moving away from using www in the address, so modifying our website by dropping he www is most likely the best solution.

Dan KE0IYF made a motion to drop the www from the website address; Shel N0DRX seconded; motion passed unanimously.

Collin said that the change would be implemented within 24 hours.  Thanks to Collin for all his efforts and expertise on behalf of the club.

Activities & Events:  Dave WØOXB

Nets and Ragchews – Dave W0OXB noted that there is not much new or different to report on the nets.  Participation remains good.

Joe KC0OIO reports that the 2 meter “Lunch Room” has had good participation the last two days, with six check-ins per day.  Today there was a new check-in from Farmington, MN.  Joe does note that, unless he or Collin KE0IYN are there, no one seems willing to act as facilitator, and would like to see others take up that role in their absence.

Dave W0OXB has an inquiry from an English friend on whether he could use the SARA repeater with DMR .  Joe noted that, if he has a hotspot, he certainly can connect into the repeater using the recently-installed YSFreflector.  He is encourage to look online for the details of how to do so.

Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event  – Dave W0OXB asked that any operator photographs be forwarded to him for consideration for the certificate.  He will send out a request to all operators.

Dave noted that a 3905 Century Club mobile station was mistakenly using the W0F call, so there is some confusion as SARA is receiving some QSL requests from his mobile operation.  The operator was very apologetic for the mistake, which really is not too concerning on our end.  Dave, Joe KC0OIO, and Shel N0DRX report receiving QSL cards in the mail, even though the club website says to send an email request for a certificate.  Shel reports that some requests came in without call signs.

Ice-O-Lation Station  –  The usual Ice Station W0JH that has occurred in recent years from the ice of Lake Elmo will in all likelihood be done remotely, as with the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event.  Dave W0OXB questions the use of the tag line “Ice-O-Lation Station” for the year’s event, questioning whether it will cause confusion.  Also, it was decided that, if it is used, to change the “Ø” to an “O” for purposes of easier printing in QST.  Shel N0DRX, Joe KC0OIO, Bob, W0GAF, and Dave will meet separately to discuss the issue.

Joe does not believe we need a 1 by 1 call for this event as we have not traditionally done CW.  Keith AG0H agreed, and if we do choose to do some CW, we could just use the club call.  Bob W0GAF noted that we could use the club call for digital as well.

MAP:  Dave WØOXB

Dave W0OXB reports that Brian N0BJE is on deck for an antenna installation tomorrow.  Carl K0CFL is then up for an antenna installation, which another installation planned for the following week.  Although, with the reemergence of COVID-19, he may need to reschedule one or all of these installations.

Meetings & Programs – Joe KCØOIO

Joe KC0OIO reports that Erik NY9D has apologized for his computer crash that prevented him from making his presentation on the topic of mesh mobile networks at the November Membership Meeting.  (No apologies necessary, Erik.)  Erik will present his program at the December Membership Meeting, and will have computer backup to avoid a recurrence.

Joe reports that Mike KF0CCL has agreed to take over the organization and management of the Virtual Eyeball QSO Parties/Thursday Tech Sessions to take some of the burden of leadership off Joe’s already stooped shoulders.  Thanks to Mike for not ducking for cover with the rest of us to take on this duty.  Mike has already made contact with possible presenters, and has a ham interested in presenting on how to set up a station, as well as the building of a QRP go-kit.  Mike has also made an inquiry to MFJ for a virtual speaker on use of the MFJ 259 and 269 antenna analyzers.  Joe has also prepared some information on that topic.

Joe reports that the next Manhattan Project will take place on Black Friday, November 27, the day after Thanksgiving, at 7:30.

Education and Training – Bob W0GAF

Bob W0GAF reports that we are still on track for starting the General class sometime in January, 2021.  We must coordinate with SEMARC for a date to provide testing for our students.  The class is dependent on the interest and availability of our recent Tech graduates as that is the pool we usually pull our students from.  Bob notes that there is an influx of virtual classes available due to the COVID situation.  Bob agrees that the club does not have to stick with its usual pattern for classes.

VE Team – Shel NØDRX

No activity to report.

New Ham Resource Group – Brian N0BJE

Brian N0BJE notes that there is nothing new to report.  He does suggest that, as club equipment now used in the club trailer ages out, it could be transferred into the club’s loaner program.

Newsletter & Website – Pat WAØTDA, Dave WØOXB

Joe KC0OIO reports that the deadline for the upcoming newsletter is December 6.  Submissions are welcome, and Pat WA0TDA will take them in any format as he can convert them as needed.

Repeater – Henry KØHAS, Shel NØDRX, Doug N9TOW

Doug N9TOW reports that the YSFrelector is not connecting; he will investigate that with Zack AA0U.

Remote Bases Technical Committee – Pat WA0TDA

Joe KC0OIO reports that the Icom 7200 used with the W0ZXW Woodbury remote base has been pulled out of service by Pat WA0TDA due to technical problems with the radio.  The club’s Icom 7300, originally purchased used with RBP funds as a backup, has been transferred in its place.  Pat has offered to buy the Icom 7200 and will pursue repairs as needed.  Joe will ask Pat to make an offer on the Icom 7200 for the Board’s consideration.  Any proceeds from a sale would go into the RBP fund.

Joe made a motion to purchase a new Icom 7300 with RBP funds to be used at the W0ZXC remote base, enabling the club to keep the existing used Icom 7300 in reserve; Bob W0GAF seconded the motion; passed unanimously.

Unfinished Business

Dave N9JNQ reported that Mike N0ODK has picked up equipment donated by the XYL of Jerry KB0OHI, SK, and has delivered it to him for inspection and inventorying.  Dave reports that he will clean up the items and review available websites to come up with a rough estimate of value for the items.  He will provide a written inventory upon completion.  The club also received a donation of ladder line and antenna wire from Mike’s friend and neighbor John W0SEI (thanks much, John).  A tower and yagi/rotator remain at Jerry’s home.  Mike reported to Dave that he should be able to get the yagi and rotator down at some point with the help of John.  The tower is another story, most likely needing some heavy equipment to remove.  Joe KC0OIO suggested that the club most likely will not be involved in its removal.

New Business

2021 Officer Nominations and Election – Joe KC0OIO noted that the incumbent President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer are all willing to continue in their positions for 2021.  Dan KE0IYF is willing to continue in the Director position up for election this year, but is willing to step aside if another candidate emerges.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:13 pm on the motion of Dave N9JNQ, seconded by Bob W0GAF, passed unanimously.