2020 S.A.R.A. EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
New Radio Gear For Some SARA Members!
OXB Special Install
Ice Station WØJH 2014
SARA Does Skywarn
Fitzgerald Crew 2012
The Joe Simonet WØTBC Memorial Award
May 14th Fox Hunt! What Fun!
2014 SARA Officers
Fitzgerald Crew 2011

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – May 18, 2022

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – May 18, 2022

Stillwater Amateur Radio Association

This was a Zoom online meeting.

Roll Call of Officers – Present:  Joe KCØOIO, Bob WØGAF, Rich ADØSN, Zack AAØU, Shel NØDRX, Dave N9JNQ, Brad VE3MXJ

President: Joe KCØOIO

The meeting was called to order at 6:37 pm.

Secretary’s Report – Dave N9JNQ

The May 2022 Membership Meeting minutes can be found posted to the club website.

​Treasurer’s Report – Rich ADØSN

Beginning Total Balance:   05/01/2022     $17,894.36

  • SARA

Balance:                                                   $6,137.02

Income:                                                   $117.00

Expenses:                                                $297.59

Ending Balance:    05/18/2022         $5,956.43

  • RBF

Balance:                                                 $11,757.34

Income:                                                  $400.00

Expenses:                                               $60.00

Ending Balance:    05/18/2022          $12,097.34

Ending Total Balance: 05/18/2022       $18,053.77

Rich ADØSN reports that the SARA income since the April monthly report (found in the May Membership meeting minutes) represents the receipt of $80.00 in dues, $18.50 from the May Membership meeting 50/50 raffle, and AD6QT Tom’s donation of his raffle winnings of $18.50.  The RBP income of $400.00 represents the sale of the Kenwood TS-590.  Expenses in the SARA account represent $82.19 spent for New Ham Night prizes and supplies, and $215.40 for the Webex subscription.  The $60.00 expense for the RBP reflects the purchase of the Splashtop subscription for use by Bill NØCIC in maintaining the WØEQO remote station in Park Rapids, MN.

Trustee’s Report – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX notes that the Flickr account subscription payment is due in November.  Shel will check in with Boutwells to let them know that we are still interested in using its facilities again starting in the Fall for monthly meetings.

Reports of Committees/Work Groups:

Website:  Collin KEØIYN & Bob WØGAF

Collin KEØIYN noted that the website is up and running with no problems.

Activities & Events:  Dave WØOXB & Bob WØGAF

Bob WØGAF notes that Field Day is next on the calendar, and would like to have a short Zoom planning meeting to prepare for the event.  Joe KCØOIO set a Zoom meeting for this purpose on Wednesday June 1, 2022, beginning at 7:00 PM.

Dave WØOXB noted that Shel NØDRX has made reservations for Split Rock, we just have to hope that the Mariner is still in business for a place to stay without breaking the bank.

Joe noted that there will be a POTA activity on Saturday June 11, 2022, to coincide with the international visit from Brad VE3MXJ.  We will be visiting a number of local parks for activation.  Most likely we will start with a breakfast and finish up with a dinner at an appropriate restaurant.

M.A.P and NHRG:  Dave WØOXB & Brian NØBJE

M.A.P. – Dave WØOXB reports that planning is underway for upcoming antenna projects for Mike KFØCCL, Bob KFØHZG, and Paul KEØOGI.  There are a few more members thinking about antennas.

Dave asked for volunteers to handle the second half of the antenna-raising; that is, teaching the recipient how to operate their rig and the manual tuner as most of the folks are new to HF operation.  It would be helpful to have the volunteer familiar with the type of radio that is in play.  Joe KCØOIO mentioned that we could wait until we know what radio is being installed to get a volunteer specifically familiar with that rig.  Joe suggested putting feelers out to club members.

NHRG – Brian NØBJE recently picked up a number of rigs donated by Tom AD6QT (thanks much, Tom!).  Tom generously asked that the equipment be passed on to needy hams.  Tom’s Yaesu FT-890 and a power supply is being passed on to new ham Theresa KB9UXV.  Tom also donated an Icom IC-746.

Brian has asked the Board to approve the Icom IC-718 held by the NHRG, which is surplus to its needs at this time.  It is in a bit rough shape, and it appears that Icom is phasing out this rig, that Icom has been selling for many years.

Bob WØGAF made a motion to sell the Icom IC-718 for $100.00.  Shel NØDRX seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.  Joe identified a member who is new to HF and would be a good candidate to offer the radio to at this price.  Brian and Mark KEØQQN will approach this member with the offer.

Meetings & Programs – Joe KCØOIO

Monthly Meeting at Boutwells -Joe KCØOIO notes that monthly membership meetings are on hiatus for the summer until September.

Tech Topic Thursday – We will be looking at starting TTT up again in October, through April, approximately six sessions at the most for the next season.

Thursday Eyeball QSO Party – SARA’s “Summer in the Parks” outdoor sessions will be located outside at various local parks, including at Valley View Park in Oak Park Heights, MN, where reservations have already been secured.  The remaining dates for Valley View Park are:  June 2 and 23; July 14; August 4 and 25; and September 15, 2022 (every third week).  Summer in the Parks will include a few POTA activations as well burgers and hot dog picnic nights.  June 2 will tentatively be a cook-out night.

New Ham Night – New Ham Night took place May 12 at Valley View Park.  By all accounts, the event was successful.  New hams have stated that they found the event and the presentations helpful and informative.  Band charts were made available, and prizes were awarded to new hams, including two Field Day 2022 hats, an ARRL Operating Manual 12th ed., and a Yaesu FTVX5R HT, donated by Pat WAØTDA, was awarded to the youngest new ham, Vicki KDØUXW.

Board Meetings – Board Meetings will be scheduled throughout the summer as needed.

Room Reservations – Dan KFØIYF

Nothing to report.

Education and Training – Bob WØGAF

Bob WØGAF reported that the recent Tech class was a success.  Bob especially thanked the instructors, who did a fantastic job after a two-plus year absence of classes.  We should plan on getting back to our usual schedule and set up a General class for the fall, although some of our recent Techs have already become Generals on their own.

VE Team – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX reported that the VE session held April 28, 2022, at Boutwells Landing, went off without a hitch, and was successful.  The examiners picked up where they left off after a 2 1/2 year layoff.  Mike KFØCCL reported that his XYL Jane KD9UXU, who successfully tested for her General license, was complimentary about how the testing was processed, stating it was better than where she tested for her Tech license.  Joe commended Shel for getting the VE session up and running successfully after a long layoff, noting we had 9 of 10 testers pass.

Newsletter – Pat WAØTDA, Dave WØOXB

The Newsletter is on summer hiatus.

Repeater – Henry KØHAS, Shel NØDRX, Doug N9TOW

The repeater appears to be operating well.

Remote Bases Technical Committee – Pat WAØTDA

Rich ADØSN reports that he sent up to Bill NØCIC his new and used W5GI Mystery Antenna, which he has donated for Remote Base use,  for use at the WØEQO base.

Unfinished Business

SARA Club Equipment Inventory – The inventory, which was previously scheduled, was canceled due to weather and family illness.  It will be rescheduled for later in the summer.

MidPhase Email Service – As he noted earlier, Collin KEØIYN noted that we have unlimited email options, email forwarding, etc.  Rich ADØSN asked about file sharing options.  Collin noted that it would not be as convenient and nice as we had with the Google Suite, but there are options.  It was noted that persons can use their personal Google account drive to share documents as they had done previously with the Suite.  Joe KCØOIO noted that one document that Board members need access to is the Club Roster.  Joe asked if we would want to offer email forwarding from radioham.org to the general membership.  Joe will ask at the September Membership meeting if there is any interest.  Collin noted that it is just a forwarding service, such as offered by the ARRL, not a server repository for emails.

June 11 POTA Activity Day – As discussed above, Saturday June 11 will be a POTA activity day, corresponding with a visit from our northern Board member Brad VE3MXJ.  We will have a POTA tour planning discussion a the Thursday May 6, 2022, Eyeball scheduled for Autumn Hills Park, Oak Park Heights, MN.  Joe KCØOIO will bring maps to help plan a park tour.

New Business

Associate membership – Dave WØOXB shared his recent experience as a POTA park activator and getting a call from VE3XT, the call of former club member Bill (SK).  As most know, Bill lived in Thunder Bay, ON, came to almost all of the Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event activations at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park on the North Shore, and is most notorious for introducing future Board member Brad VE3MXJ to the club membership.  After inquiring, Dave ascertained that the call is now held by Bill’s brother, Paul, who resides in London, ON.  Dave suggested that Paul be invited to future Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event activations and be given an honorary 2022-23 club SARA Associate Membership.

Brad made a motion to offer Paul VE3XT an Associated Membership through 2023 and invite him to the upcoming Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald Special Event activation.  Bob seconded the motion, with the change that we do not need a motion to invite Paul to the activation.  Brad accepted the modification.  The motion passed unanimously.  Brad will reach out to Paul regarding the offer.  Paul’s email address is available from QRZ.

Bob WØGAF made a motion to adjourn the meeting; the motion was seconded by Brad VE3MXJ ; the motion passed unanimously.  The meeting was adjourned at 7:46 PM.