2014 SARA Officers
Ice Station WØJH 2014
2017 SARA Officers
Kilo Parks Award
2023 Simonet Memorial Award
SARA Field Day 2011
2021 W0TBC Memorial Award
AGØH 2013
2020 S.A.R.A. EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
2018 WØTBC Memorial Award-NØDRX

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – March 29, 2023

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – March 29, 2023

Stillwater Amateur Radio Association

This was a Zoom online meeting.

Roll Call of Officers – Present:  Joe KCØOIO, Bob WØGAF, Shel NØDRX, Rich ADØSN, Brad VE3MXJ.

President: Joe KCØOIO

The meeting was called to order at 6:39 PM.

Secretary’s Report – Dave N9JNQ (Not present, Skipped)

The February 2023 Board Meeting and the March 2023 Membership Meeting minutes can be found posted to the club website.

​​Treasurer’s Report – Rich ADØSN

Beginning Total Balance:   03/01/2023     $18,841.49

  • SARA

Balance:                                                   $6,813.15

Income:                                                   $640.00

Expenses:                                                $97.33

Ending Balance:     03/29/2023         $7,355.82

  • RBF

Balance:                                                 $12,028.34

Income:                                                  $0.00

Expenses:                                               $0.00

Ending Balance: 03/29/2023        $12,028.34

Ending Total Balance: 03/29/2023       $19,384.16

Rich ADØSN reports no change in the report since the February 2023 Membership meeting.

Trustee’s Report – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX reported that he filed the 317-A paperwork for Minnesota, good for another year.

The ARRL accepted our renewal for Special Service Club status.

Boutwell’s remodel is coming up, and using the Auditorium A room for storage that is normally used.  April is fine, but May are likely to be bumped to Auditorium B.  Otherwise all dates are submitted through May 2024, but it will be B at that point.

Shel dropped off the new Technician License Manual at the Stillwater Public Library, checked on the check-out rate, and discussed the status of the old books with the librarian.

Reports of Standing Committees/Work Groups:

Activities & Events:  Dave WØOXB & Bob WØGAF

Ice Station WØJH 2023 – This special event will take place February 18-20, 2023 on Lake Elmo.  Joe KCØOIO has already sent a broadcast to members noting the directions to the QTH of Dave KØAIF on Lake Elmo.  Dave took some measures to protect the steps from the rain storm to prevent an ice buildup.  There was ankle deep water on the ice after the rain.  Joe will bring two radios and the laptops to the Thursday night Eyeball to hand off.

Tri-State Point (White Rock) Special Event – This special event is looking to take place in late September.  Dave is not available so no additional information at this time.

Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald (Split Rock) Special Event – This special event will take place Nov 3-5, 2023.  Joe KCØOIO has motioned to pre-authorize paying for reservation of the room at $250, which passes with all Ayes.  Further expenses to be looked at in September (firewood, fuel, hospitality room co-op).

Field Day 2023 – Field Day will take place at Valley View Park in Oak Park Heights, MN. Rich ADØSN has squared away our reservations and permits. Bob WØGAF  suggested that we take one of our early Radios in the Park at Valley View to do a Field Day site survey to determine suitable locations for the SSB and CW station and associated antennas.  June 8th will be a site survey.

Radios in the Park days are tentatively scheduled for May 18, June 8 and 29, July 20, August 10 and 31.  Joe thanked Zack AAØU for securing the park for the events.

SARA’s POTA Challenge 2023

Bob WØGAF noted that the March stats will be coming out soon.  Dave and Mark took a Texas trip so are doing quite well.

Joe KCØOIO announced that June 10 will be the Second Annual SARA POTA Activity Day.  Additional plan for SARA POTA Meetup August 12, 2023 at Wild River State Park near Almelund, MN.  It will be a picnic lunch, with an invitation extended to SEMARC.  There will need to be a budget for picnic area (food, supplies, shelter reservation) with free-will collection to offset expenses.

Additional activities may be done coinciding with POTA Support Your Parks weekend.

On-Air Activities – Dave WØOXB (Not present)

All is going well with on-air activities.  Sunday Fusion has had a good attendance.

Summer in the Parks 2023 – Joe KCØOIO

Outdoor Eyeball QSO Party Sessions May 18 thru Sept 7 or 14.  Valley View Park May 18, June 8, June 29, August 10, and August 31st.  Other parks will be announced throughout the summer.

Education and Training – Bob WØGAF

Technician Class – Bob WØGAF reports classes have started.  The first class had a single attendee, but then attendee skyrocketed, especially after some publicity by Dave W0OXB.  Expecting 5 for testing at the VE session.  There was a good attendance, with one needing to be done online at instructor request.  A lot of interest in New Ham Night.

Skywarn Class – Bob WØGAF announced that he the SkyWarn class will take place May 6 from 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM at the Stillwater Public Library.  Joe KCØOIO noted that the Skywarn folks on their website state that “we will be requiring preregistration,” so if you are planning on attending you will want to comply.  Bob noted that they probably will not turn you away at the door if you do not preregister. Greg K0GW will be hosting.  No other communications with the Skywarn folks at this time.

New Ham Night – May 18 at Valley View Park has been selected as the night for New Ham Night.

VE Team – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX has scheduled the next VE Session for April 27 and he has listed the session on the ARRL website.  He will notify the VE Team when we get closer to the date.

 

Reports of Workgroups:

Technology

Website:  Collin KEØIYN & Bob WØGAF

Collin KEØIYN has resolved and set up a new mailing list which can be used for announcements by approved individuals.  Collin talked about setup and going over it at an upcoming meeting with Joe.  The mailing list is SARA-Announcements.  Joe will be able to determine authorized senders going forward.  It will mask senders (unless they name themselves) and prevent spam and other issues, and allow announcements sent by more than just Joe in the future.

Rich talks about spam on some things on email for radioham.org emails, which Collin attests to being just part of hosting your own email.

The website is up, it has a warning message being displayed, but it’s not anything to worry about at this time.  The website’s warning is out of sync with the actual SSL certificate.

Newsletter – Pat WAØTDA, Dave WØOXB

The deadline for the March issue is March 31.

Repeater – Henry KØHAS, Shel NØDRX, Doug N9TOW

The scuttlebutt is that Xcel may not shut down the King Plant as early as they had planned (2028) due to lack of replacement power.  So the stack may still be an option for the foreseeable future.

Remote Bases Technical Committee – Pat WAØTDA

The relocation of WØZSW to the Hayward, WI property of Brian KB9TBB should take place in the spring of 2023.

 

Members Resources

M.A.P and NHRG:  Dave WØOXB & Brian NØBJE

M.A.P. – Nothing to report that’s new.

NHRG – Nothing to report.

Discord and Groups.IO – All is well, nothing to report.

Meetings & Programs – Joe KCØOIO

Program Planning Team – The April program will be an “ask the elmer” presentation. It was suggested that the presentation be hyped in the Tech Class, which will be ongoing at that time, with the goal of bring in prospective new hams who most likely would have many questions for the panel.

The May meeting will be a virtual presentation by Mike Walker VE3MW of Flex Radio Systems on SDR radios and the history of Flex.

Joe will forward information on a person from SEMARC who did a talk on the NanoVNA who would be willing to do a presentation for the club.

Room Reservations – Dan KEØIYF

Dan KFØIYF has secured the Stillwater Public Library for all of the Tech Classes, which are scheduled to begin March 2.

There is nothing available for 4/6 at any library, with the tech class taking the conference room.  Meeting space is at Lake Elmo for 4/13 and 4/20.  All of April and May likely to be at Lake Elmo.

Collin offers up his QTH, the Diner, as the meeting site for 4/6 and host the meeting.

 

Unfinished Business:

KØZZT (SK) Estate – Ray’s Estate has been addressed.

W9LHG Equipment Donation – Shel NØDRX has completed an inventory of the donated items and has sent an inventory to Joe KCØOIO and Bob WØGAF.  There is a fair amount of Elecraft equipment.

SARA Club Equipment Inventory – Rich ADØSN noted that, while we still have to inventory the trailer, it is really just an update of the inventory we already have.  He expressed concern that we have yet to inventory or create a check-out list of equipment in the NHRG.   Agreement was had that we should address this issue.  It will be taken offline covering other items.  Also discuss forming a committee to resolve inventory concerns.

MN ARC Leaders Group (Bob W0GAF) – There is an ARRL MN section conference.  A proposal was shared, with the club being asked to sponsor $200 towards a midwestern focused ham fest.  A general concern over focus and target was raised, and a deeper plan on expense and monitoring and if this is a yearly fee be reported before making such a sponsorship/donation.

Handiham radio Camp – The camp has been scheduled for September 9-13, 2023.  Pat WAØTDA has suggested that the club set up its trailer and operate portable stations at the hotel in Bloomington, MN where the camp will take place.  We will discuss logistics as we get closer to the date.

 

New Business:

Disposition of Outstanding Bills – Joe KCØOIO presents to pay some outstanding bill items.  Motion passes with Ayes after discussion with Rich.  Joe notes he plans to have this as a standing item, and those bills won’t be paid until the board votes on them.  A motion is made that this bill will also not be paid until an inventory is completed.

Shel would like to get approval to pay the September 2023 through May 2024 at Boutwell’s.

Kenwood TS590S – This resource has been selected to use as a shared asset with the NHRG.  It will be tabled for the time being.

Improvement of Video Meetings – Joe KCØOIO is looking at purchase of some new video equipment for integration with video meetings at club events.  Collin and Joe agree to discuss needs and look at purchasing at in-person meetings.

 

Good of the Association:

Statement from the President – Joe shared a few comments.  He has been president for 8 years, and has enjoyed it, but has been thinking of stepping down.  He’s reviewing it, probably not this year, but soon to step back from club president to find someone else to take the lead role.  General sentiments expressed about approval of Joe’s work and his need to step back.

 

Rich ADØSN made a motion to adjourn the meeting; the motion was seconded by Bob WØGAF; the motion passed unanimously.  The meeting was adjourned at 8:26 PM.