Ice Station WØJH 2014
SARA Work Party 3
SARA Field Day 2011
Ice Station WØJH 2014
Split Rock 2013
Split Rock Lighthouse 2012
2021 W0TBC Memorial Award
OXB Special Install
SARA Work Party 2
AGØH 2013

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – March 16, 2022

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – March 16, 2022

Stillwater Amateur Radio Association

This was a Cisco Webex online meeting.

Roll Call of Officers – Present:  Joe KCØOIO, Bob WØGAF, Rich ADØSN, Zack AAØU, Shel NØDRX, Dave N9JNQ, Brad VE3MXJ

President: Joe KCØOIO

The meeting was called to order at 6:38 pm.

Secretary’s Report – Dave N9JNQ

The two February 2022 Board meetings and the February 2022 Membership Meeting minutes can be found posted to the club website.  The March Membership meeting minutes will be up on the SARA website shortly.

​Treasurer’s Report – Rich ADØSN

Beginning Total Balance:   02/01/2022     $18,119.79

  • SARA

Balance:                                                   $6,362.45

Income:                                                   $140.00

Expenses:                                                $0.00

Ending Balance:      2/28/2022         $6,502.45

  • RBF

Balance:                                                 $11,757.34

Income:                                                  $0.00

Expenses:                                               $0.00

Ending Balance:    2/28/2022          $11,757.34

Ending Total Balance: 2/28/2022       $18,259.79

The SARA income represents the receipt of $140.00 in dues since the last report.  Rich ADØSN notes that due to more membership payments since the first of the month, the income now stands at $221.  The club also incurred $15.00 in expenses.

Trustee’s Report – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX reports he filed the IRS form 990-N (reporting form for charities and non-profit organizations) at the end of February.  The ARRL annual affiliation report was also filed.  The filing for holding the special service club designation is on a two-year cycle and will need to be filed January 2023.  The Minnesota non-profit corporation form 317A will need to be filed with the Minnesota Secretary of State and the end of this year.

Last, Shel reports that he inquired about paying for the club’s fee for MidPhase early, which is due June 1 of this year, to take advantage of the current rate, but was told that we could not due so.  Thus, SARA will be paying the increased rate when due.

Reports of Committees/Work Groups:

Website:  Collin KEØIYN & Bob WØGAF

Joe KCØOIO reported that Collin KEØIYN has discovered that MidPhase, our current webpage provider, also offers the ability to maintain our radio.org email addresses.  Collin is checking on who to do the transition, and more information on how to accomplish this will be forthcoming.  It will ultimately operate similar to the ARRL email system whereby emails will be forwarded to your personal email box rather than having an online inbox as we currently have with the Google Suite.

Activities & Events:  Dave WØOXB

White Rock Special Event  – Planning will take place when we are closer to the event.

M.A.P and NHRG:  Dave WØOXB & Brian NØBJE

Dave WØOXB reports that M.A.P. has a new antenna project in the queue.

Brian NØBJE reports that the NHRG has loaned out the Yaesu FT-100.  He is in need of a few jumper cables and some adapters, as well as a mag-mount or two.  Dave will provide Brian with some jumpers and mag-mounts at the next Eyeball session.  In addition, Dave will provide Brian with a few items from the estate of John N5JLZ (SK), including an Icom IC-7200 and an Icom IC-708H.  In addition, Zack AAØU will bring the Icom IC-746 he has been testing to the Eyeball for transfer to Brian.  Any purchase of the needed adapters can be reimbursed out of petty cash.

Rich ADØSN stated that he believes the club needs a log reflecting the location and status of the NHRG loaned equipment.  Shel NØDRX agreed with Rich’s assessment.

Meetings & Programs – Joe KCØOIO

Monthly Meeting at Boutwells -Joe KCØOIO reported that he has not had any response from his request in the recent SARA Broadcast for someone to take the roll of coordinating monthly meeting programs.  Joe would like to have someone take on these responsibilities beginning with the fall membership meetings.  Joe has been handling those duties on top of all his other activities as club president.  Brad VE3MXJ offered to shoulder some of the duties, such as contacting the prospective speakers, etc.  As he does not have the local connections, though, Brad would need someone to point him to possible speakers.

Joe will reach out to Tim Burd WD9IGX, who has offered a program on replacing tubes with diodes, for the April meeting.  Joe will also follow up with a Bloomington ham who may be willing to do a presentation on EZNEC, an antenna modeling program.  Dave WØOXB reported that Steve KAØOBI is willing to present his program on the Antarctic, and has sent his slides out to be digitized for that purpose.

Tech Topic Thursday – The April TTT presentation will be on preparing for POTA operations.  Bob WØGAF will put together an outline that he will share with Brian KB9TBB and Brad VE3MXJ.

Tim Duffy K3LR is lined up for the May session with a presentation on coax.

Discussion was had on having some of the TTT presentations shifted to Membership Meeting program.  It was pointed out that folks willing to present on a weekday evening are more reluctant to give up a Saturday morning and, thus, would not be available.

Thursday Eyeball QSO Party – Eyeballs are now back at the Stillwater Library meeting through May 12, 2022, at which time they will be moved outdoors.  The May 12 Eyeball will be our New Hams session, two weeks after our VE session.

SARA’s “Summer in the Parks” outdoor sessions will be located at Valley View Park in Oak Park Heights, MN.  The dates are: May 12; June 2 and 23; July 14; August 4 and 25; and September 15, 2022.  The sessions will hopefully include a few POTA activations as well burgers and hot dog picnic nights.

Virtual Manhattan Project – A virtual Manhattan Project is scheduled for Friday March 25, 2022.

Board Meetings – Virtual Board Meetings are scheduled for the Wednesdays following the Membership Meetings, April 13, and May 18, 2022.

Room Reservations – Dan KFØIYF

Kudos to Dan KFØIYF for securing rooms at the Stillwater Library for upcoming upcoming Eyeballs as well as the Tech classes.  The April 7 class, when the library is unavailable, will take in Lake Elmo, MN.

Education and Training – Bob WØGAF

Bob WØGAF reported that we have eight to nine students attending the Tech class.  No high school students attending at the moment, but the former physics teacher at Stillwater High School is in discussions with the current physics teacher, and it may lead to some attending future classes.

VE Team – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX reports that the upcoming VE session is scheduled for April 28, 2022, at Boutwells Landing.  The session has been posted with the ARRL.  We have been given Auditorium B for the testing.  We will need a VE stationed at the Boutwells entrance to help with signing into the building.

Newsletter – Pat WAØTDA, Dave WØOXB

Nothing to report.

Repeater – Henry KØHAS, Shel NØDRX, Doug N9TOW

Nothing to report.  Just a reminder that the anticipated 2028 King Plant planned shutdown will call for future planning on relocating the SARA club repeater and antenna from the plant smokestack.

Remote Bases Technical Committee – Pat WAØTDA

Nothing to report.

Unfinished Business

SARA Club Equipment Inventory – The inventory will wait until the weather breaks, which it is starting to do.

Sale of the club’s Kenwood TS590 – Joe KCØOIO dig out the radios when he has the time and determine which of the two radios has the hanging relay for antenna switching; the other will be made available for sale.

Google Workspace (G Suite) – Joe KCØOIO reported that he, Collin KEØIYN, Bob WØGAF, and Shel NØDRX spoke last Wednesday regarding the switch from the G Suite, and Collin reported that he found a “takeout” to extract emails and other data from the site for those interested in saving their data.  The “takeout” was turned on and Bob sent an email to all members with a link to a YouTube video on how to perform the extraction, as well as a how-to description with necessary links.  It does take time to extract your data, so do not wait until the last minute.

Inventory of N5JLZ (SK) John’s Equipment -Joe KCØOIO commended Dave WØOXB and Zack AAØU on collecting and organizing N5JLZ (SK) John’s equipment.  Dave reported that he has been distributing items around for testing and purchase.  Mike picked up six antennas and a mast, and there are other hamsticks and Hustler elements/antennas available.  Dave will provide Rich ADØSN with the address of John’s daughter so that the club can make payment to the estate of $500.00 for the Icom 7300.

Discussion was had regarding whether the equipment should go through the club, with the club making payment for the gear distributed, or as it is now being handled.  Dave noted that John’s daughter was not expecting payment for any of the gear and believes it should just be distributed to those who want it and payment can be made directly to John’s daughter.  Dave proposes that he provide those interested in purchasing items with her address for direct payment.  Dave N9JNQ noted that he was interested in one of the radios and, therefore, will abide by whatever method the Board decides is best.

Brian NØBJE asked whether, with the addition of John’s Icom IC-746 to the NHRG equipment list, the club should sell the Yaesu FT-718.  It was decided that the club should hang on to it, and we can consider selling it to a club member who borrows it and has an interest in purchasing it.  Shel noted that we should wait until after the Tech class before taking any action on selling it as there may be interest in it by a graduate.

On the topic of donated equipment, Dave reported that Tom AD6QT has moved to a location where he can no longer have a shack, so wishes to donate his equipment to SARA.  Shel NØDRX also reported that he was notified by  W9LHG John’s daughter that John has moved and wishes to donate his ample shack to SARA.  Shel has picked up a large load of equipment, but has not sorted through all of it yet.  There is a large Astron 50 amp power supply, as well as a Yaesu FT101EE and a Kenwood TM-271A two-meter rig, in the pile.  Shel is going to attempt to talk with John for further clarify what he wants done with his gear.  Further discussion will need to be had once we have a better handle on the status of these donations.

New Business

Two-Meter Tuesday Net Controllers Needed – Dave  WØOXB noted that with the upcoming unavailability of current net control operators, there is a need to recruit a few more.  Dave N9JNQ volunteered to fill in if needed.

Bob WØGAF made a motion to adjoin the meeting; the motion was seconded by Brad VE3MXJ; the motion passed unanimously.  The meeting was adjourned at 7:59 pm.