Split Rock 2013
AGØH 2013
Fitzgerald Crew 2011
2021 W0TBC Memorial Award
WØJH 2004
2018 WØTBC Memorial Award-NØDRX
The Joe Simonet WØTBC Memorial Award
OXB Special Install
SARA Work Party 3
Kilo Parks Award

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – April 19, 2023

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – April 19, 2023

Stillwater Amateur Radio Association

This was a Zoom online meeting.

Roll Call of Officers – Present:  Joe KCØOIO, Bob WØGAF, Shel NØDRX, Rich ADØSN, Brad VE3MXJ.  Dave and Brian away.

President: Joe KCØOIO

The meeting was called to order at 6:39 PM.

Secretary’s Report – Dave N9JNQ (Not present, Skipped). Collin KEØIYN filling in.

The March 2023 Board Meeting minutes can be found posted to the club website.

​​Treasurer’s Report – Rich ADØSN

Had an expense of $255 for Split Rock reservation, with $40 incoming.

Current Total Balance:       $19,169.16

There are no outstanding bills to handle at this time.

Trustee’s Report – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX reported that he filed the 317-A paperwork for Minnesota, good for another year.

The ARRL accepted our renewal for Special Service Club status.

 

Reports of Standing Committees/Work Groups:

Activities & Events:  Dave WØOXB & Bob WØGAF

Ice Station WØJH 2023 – Nothing to report at this time, as it is all wrapped up.  Shel shared a story about a POTA contact that got out on the ice because of our special event station.

Tri-State Point (White Rock) Special Event – This special event is looking to take place in late September.  Dave is likely to be busy in September and is looking for assistance on events, especially around this time.

Remembering the Edmund Fitzgerald (Split Rock) Special Event – This special event will take place Nov 3-5, 2023.  Further expenses to be looked at in September (firewood, fuel, hospitality room co-op).  A short discussion was had that in 2021 there was a question if the Mariner was open, so many people went to the AmericInn.  This is the good question of the club hosting a ‘hospitality room’ that Shel/Mary used to do.  Costs were unexpectedly high in 2022, so an evaluation will be done.

Field Day 2023 – Field Day will take place at Valley View Park in Oak Park Heights, MN.  June 8th will be a site survey.  Bob motions to allow a $350 budget for Field Day as a cap, and if budgeting goes higher it will be brought to the board for approval later, and report after the event on actual expenditures which will likely be significantly less.  Rich seconds.  Motion passes with Ayes.

Radios in the Park days are tentatively scheduled for May 18, June 8 and 29, July 20, August 10 and 31.  Joe thanked Zack AAØU for securing the park for the events.

SARA’s POTA Challenge 2023

Bob WØGAF noted that we may need to get creative on the budget for the POTA challenge with how many are getting over 1000 contacts.

There will be a POTA activity day June 10th, 2023.

Additional plan for SARA POTA Meetup August 12, 2023 at Wild River State Park near Almelund, MN.  It will be a picnic lunch, with an invitation extended to SEMARC.  There will need to be a budget for picnic area (food, supplies, shelter reservation) with free-will collection to offset expenses.

Additional activities may be done coinciding with POTA Support Your Parks weekend.

On-Air Activities – Dave WØOXB

All is going well with on-air activities.  Much better participation on 2-Meter Tuesday from new hams and upgraded hams.  They’re running longer than before as well.

Summer in the Parks 2023 – Joe KCØOIO

Outdoor Eyeball QSO Party Sessions May 18 thru Sept 7 or 14.  Valley View Park May 18, June 8, June 29, August 10, and August 31st.  Other parks will be announced throughout the summer.  A discussion on fall back options for weather was had, and Collin KE0IYN has noted the diner at his QTH is always open as a fallback location.

Education and Training – Bob WØGAF

Technician Class – Bob WØGAF reports the last class is tomorrow night.  Things have been going well, and having more folks asking about self study programs who hear about the classes late.  But there is an exceptionally engaged group this time around.  Bob also wants to thank all of the instructors.

Skywarn Class – Bob WØGAF announced that the SkyWarn class will take place May 6 from 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM at the Stillwater Public Library.  Joe KCØOIO noted that the Skywarn folks on their website state that “we will be requiring preregistration,” so if you are planning on attending you will want to comply.  Bob noted that they probably will not turn you away at the door if you do not preregister. Greg K0GW will be hosting.  No other communications with the Skywarn folks at this time.

New Ham Night – May 18 at Valley View Park has been selected as the night for New Ham Night.

VE Team – Shel NØDRX

Shel NØDRX has scheduled the next VE Session for April 27 and he has listed the session on the ARRL website.  He will notify the VE Team when we get closer to the date.

 

Reports of Workgroups:

Technology

Website:  Collin KEØIYN & Bob WØGAF

Collin KEØIYN was informed that the mailing list is working great, it just requires moderation approval.  Collin will look into that.

The website is working and the SSL certificate is all right.

Newsletter – Pat WAØTDA, Dave WØOXB

The deadline for the May issue is May 5th/6th.

Repeater – Henry KØHAS, Shel NØDRX, Doug N9TOW

The scuttlebutt is that Xcel may not shut down the King Plant as early as they had planned (2028) due to lack of replacement power.  So the stack may still be an option for the foreseeable future.

Remote Bases Technical Committee – Pat WAØTDA

The relocation of WØZSW to the Hayward, WI property of Brian KB9TBB should take place in the spring of 2023.  Pat brought up about when we move the remote base to give the W0ZSW back to handihams and using W0JH as the call for the remote base.  No issue is seen with that.  Pat also reports WA0TDA is now functional on 160 again.  There is a general approval of this plan from the usage and the financial considerations for the change.  For call sign usage Pat will investigate if there’s any concerns with FCC laws.

 

Members Resources

M.A.P and NHRG:  Dave WØOXB & Brian NØBJE

M.A.P. – Nothing to report.  Supply with materials common for antennas is difficult to get right now.

NHRG – Nothing to report.

Discord and Groups.IO – All is well, nothing to report.

Meetings & Programs – Joe KCØOIO

Program Planning Team – The April program will be an “ask the elmer” presentation. It was suggested that the presentation be hyped in the Tech Class, which will be ongoing at that time, with the goal of bring in prospective new hams who most likely would have many questions for the panel.

The May meeting will be a virtual presentation by Mike Walker VE3MW of Flex Radio Systems on SDR radios and the history of Flex.

Room Reservations – Dan KEØIYF

Dan KFØIYF has secured the Tech classes through the end.

All of April and May 4 to be at Lake Elmo Library.

 

Unfinished Business:

New Ham Resources Equipment Inventory – This is pending a face-to-face discussion.

MN ARC Leaders Group (Bob W0GAF) – It has been confirmed that the $200 donation is a one-time commitment.  If it is amenable, the club is willing to move forward with the donation.  Bob has information on where to forward a check.  Joe moves to approve the $200 one time contribution.  Brad seconds, and with a vote it’s passed unanimously.  There has also been discussion about venue which is the Best Buy headquarters.  Joe has reviewed the MOU, with clause readout of the club how the money would be used and what clubs are already on-board with the effort.  The goal would be for this to be self-funding, with no need for seed money in the future.

SARA Club Equipment Inventory – This will be covered later when Dave is more mended.

Handiham radio Camp – The camp has been scheduled for September 9-13, 2023.  Pat WAØTDA has suggested that the club set up its trailer and operate portable stations at the hotel in Bloomington, MN where the camp will take place.  We will discuss logistics as we get closer to the date.

 

New Business:

No new business at this time.

 

Bob WØGAF made a motion to adjourn the meeting; the motion was seconded by Rich ADØSN; the motion passed unanimously.  The meeting was adjourned at 7:51 PM.